Last day in Bangkok...for now
Today went a little easier. After the last post we went to the Jim Thompson House and Museum. Jim Thompson was an American architect, soldier, OSS officer, and designer who made his home in Bangkok after WWII. The Jim Thompson museum is composed of six teak homes he designed, and had placed throughout the country. Later, all of these homes were brought together to their current location in Bangkok. The buildings themselves are filled with priceless Thai art and artifacts. Truly amazing stuff. He also started a world renowned Silk company that revived the dying art of silk weaving in Thailand. The Jim Thompson house is now a national treasure and Jim Thompson a legend and hero.
After that we went to Suan Pakkard Palace. I don't know quite as much about this location, but it was also several teak homes on stilts, and artifacts from around the country and art from around the world. The Palace also contained a beautiful lawn and garden. I'll post pictures in a few days probably.
After all this we went back to MBK to try to find some pants for me. We found some great ones (cheap too) but when I got home, I found out they didn't fit. I think they use different sizing schemes or something.
Finally, we took the river boat back to our hotel (the boat we were on didn't go to our stop, so there was a bit of a walk too) and showered. After our showers we went back to that restaurant I mentioned earlier (the one that was mostly locals). It was the same situation again and for a time we were the only table with foreigners at it.
I have to say, I love the atmosphere of the place. It is one of the largest places on the street because it spans two building spaces separated by the former wall between them that now has several windows and a door. The live music sounds great, and the lights are very dim. The furniture is simple, and the walls are decorated with Thai paintings, various tools, and of course pictures of Thai royalty. And oh yeah, the food was great again too.
that's all for now, we need to be up at about 4:30 to catch the boat that takes us to the train that takes us to the bus that takes us to another boat and our final destination, Koh Chang.
-Tim
P.S. Feel free to email me quesitons or post them as comments.
After that we went to Suan Pakkard Palace. I don't know quite as much about this location, but it was also several teak homes on stilts, and artifacts from around the country and art from around the world. The Palace also contained a beautiful lawn and garden. I'll post pictures in a few days probably.
After all this we went back to MBK to try to find some pants for me. We found some great ones (cheap too) but when I got home, I found out they didn't fit. I think they use different sizing schemes or something.
Finally, we took the river boat back to our hotel (the boat we were on didn't go to our stop, so there was a bit of a walk too) and showered. After our showers we went back to that restaurant I mentioned earlier (the one that was mostly locals). It was the same situation again and for a time we were the only table with foreigners at it.
I have to say, I love the atmosphere of the place. It is one of the largest places on the street because it spans two building spaces separated by the former wall between them that now has several windows and a door. The live music sounds great, and the lights are very dim. The furniture is simple, and the walls are decorated with Thai paintings, various tools, and of course pictures of Thai royalty. And oh yeah, the food was great again too.
that's all for now, we need to be up at about 4:30 to catch the boat that takes us to the train that takes us to the bus that takes us to another boat and our final destination, Koh Chang.
-Tim
P.S. Feel free to email me quesitons or post them as comments.
1:17 AMMy jealousy only grows. Glad things are working out, hope you guys have fun heading to Koh Chang. I don't know how much of a pain it is to upload more pictures, but I for one would love to see more.
11:05 AM
Pics of the various places mentioned here can be searched out on the web --- http://www.google.com/advanced_image_search?hl=en --- enter the name of the place on the second line --- these have been taken by other travelers --- we all look forward to T & K's pics --- but these will do for now --- Dad
» Post a Comment