Buddha Caves and Waterfall
Hi,
Yesterday we took a two part tour to places outside the city. In the morning we took a long boat up the Mekong (about 2 hours) to the Pak Ou Buddha Caves. In these caves are over 4000 retired Buddha statues of varying sizes kept there for safe keeping. Many are quite old and are showing their age. It was pretty interesting but our stop was short. Along the way on the river we stopped in two crafts villages. The first was a whiskey village, who makes a fairly strong rice whiskey. The second was a paper and silk village.
After the boat ride back to Louang Phrabang we hopped on a mini-bus to the Kuang Si waterfalls, the best in Laos. The falls were pretty big (as big as the ones we saw in Ko Chang, if not bigger) and there were a bunch of crystal blue pools for swimming. We had a bout 2 hours here, but I only swam for about 30 minutes (it was pretty cold). Kelly didn't want to go swimming there, and I can't say I blame her (but it really was nice).
Today we are just walking around the city. We aren't sure yet if we want to move on tomorrow or the next day, we seem to have exhausted most of the good sights here.
I have another funny(ish) story that I will save to tell you in person, but its not really one for the animal lovers out there.
-Tim
Yesterday we took a two part tour to places outside the city. In the morning we took a long boat up the Mekong (about 2 hours) to the Pak Ou Buddha Caves. In these caves are over 4000 retired Buddha statues of varying sizes kept there for safe keeping. Many are quite old and are showing their age. It was pretty interesting but our stop was short. Along the way on the river we stopped in two crafts villages. The first was a whiskey village, who makes a fairly strong rice whiskey. The second was a paper and silk village.
After the boat ride back to Louang Phrabang we hopped on a mini-bus to the Kuang Si waterfalls, the best in Laos. The falls were pretty big (as big as the ones we saw in Ko Chang, if not bigger) and there were a bunch of crystal blue pools for swimming. We had a bout 2 hours here, but I only swam for about 30 minutes (it was pretty cold). Kelly didn't want to go swimming there, and I can't say I blame her (but it really was nice).
Today we are just walking around the city. We aren't sure yet if we want to move on tomorrow or the next day, we seem to have exhausted most of the good sights here.
I have another funny(ish) story that I will save to tell you in person, but its not really one for the animal lovers out there.
-Tim
» Post a Comment