The Original Harmony

"Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe." -Anatole France

So much and so little.

We have been having a great time, and have been pretty much relaxing (up until today).

We spent 3 days on Ao Nang (Ao means beach), but took a tour one of those three days. The tour took us to 4 of the most beautiful islands (within 1.5 hours of the beach). We did snorkeling at each of the islands, and also went for a short trek. We saw many different kinds of fish, and some spectacular views. There are Karst cliffs here too, and although they are smaller than Halong Bay, they were beautiful in their own right (partly because their shapes are more dramatic).

The rest of our time there was spent relaxing on the beach and eating; and the food there is great. There were two restaurants that we frequented (went twice to each) and we also went to several other places (including pancake stalls…great food, now like what we know). One of the restaurants was run by a Thai woman, who has also spent much of her time cooking in the US in pretty classy places. Her food was great, and certainly much cheaper than anything at home. We also at an Italian place run by a Thai guy who was presumably trained in Italy because his food was great for what it was too!

After Ao Nang we came to Ko Phi Phi. Our guesthouse is a 15 minute boat ride from town and was unharmed by the Tsunami. The only people there are the people from our bungalows, so its very quiet. The only restaurant is run by our guesthouse, but the food is among the best I have tried.

Yesterday we snorkeled for several hours, and had a great time. We saw a moray eel, clown fish, and parrot fish among many many others. There is a huge reef t here, so it is teeming with life.

Today we both went diving. Kelly took the “Discover Scuba Diving” course. Basically they teach you how to use the equipment then an instructor takes you down one on one. The entire time the instructor hangs on to you and keeps track of your gauges. Its very safe, and a great way to get out for a day if you aren’t certified.

Since I am certified, though, I did something a little different. I signed up for a refresher course. It was about $15 more than just going diving, but I figured it was worth while. The dive master and I went over a test to make sure I still knew the basics, then once we were in the water we did a few exercises (taking off your mask, finding the regulator after you drop it, back flips, etc.). After that we just swam around seeing the sights (this is still just the first dive). We saw a devil scorpion fish (very poisonous) and a bunch of puffers. The visibility was amazing, I don’t know how far it was but it had to be over 60 ft.

After the first dive we had lunch, and rested a while (pretty boring because it was raining). But we talked with other people for a while.

The second dive was organized so Kelly and I could go together. The dive master went with us again and the EMT went with Kelly. This one was a little deeper (12m for Kelly and 16m for me). This time we saw some clown fish (one of the adults came out to attack the dive masters hand when he pointed at their anemone), lion fish, scorpion and rock fish, puffers, trumpet, and angel fish, and some lobsters and crabs. We also swam through some … swim throughs (I did more only because they were deeper, and Kelly was limited to 12m). It really was amazing stuff. As much life as any aquarium and just so much fun.

Kelly really enjoyed it, much more than mountain biking I think.

They tried to convince me to go on a deep dive (30m) to see manta rays and whale sharks. I would have gone as an Advanced Open water Diving student (one level above what I am now) and as such would have had some lessons and tests to go along with it. It would have been one part of the 5 parts needed for certification. I passed it up though, not sure I’m ready (but probably am) and it’s also somewhat expensive. I’ll just have to come back again I guess.

Our boat is delayed until 4 (its almost 3 now) so we are going to walk around town.

I don’t know if I will post again before we get back to Bangkok (internet access isn’t great here, and hard to get to anyway). I will be checking email when I can though.

-Tim
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

6:31 AM

WOW!!!! --- you guys are leading a rough life --- sure glad you saw all the other stuff first --- sounds as though you may not have left the area you are in now --- best food --- spectacular sights --- diving --- we are all envious --- enjoy --- Dad - H

PS -- what about tsunami damage --- have you seen much --- are they recovering well ---    



3:46 PM

I HAVE BEEN EXCITEDLY READING AND SHARING WITH OTHERS. uNDER WATER IS ANOTHER WORLD BESIDES ALL THE LAND AREAS YOU HAVE BEEN ENJOYING.
gLAD THAT YOU TWO ARE HAVING SO MUCH FUN AND BEING SENSIBLE TOO.

mOM/ANN    



» Post a Comment