The Original Harmony

"Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe." -Anatole France

Snorkeling, Trekking, and Sunsets on the beach

Hi everyone,

We're still here in Ko Chang for another night, but moving back to mainland Thailand tomorrow before we head on over to Cambodia. We have been having a wonderful time on the island. To give you an idea of what it is like here, the island is fairly large (second largest in Thailand) but has only one main road; two lanes all the way around the island. Most of civilization is on the west coast of the island where the beaches are, but there are some small villages spread out elsewhere. The center of the island is tropical rain forest and is VERY mountainous. Around the island there is lots and lots of clear blue water. Palm trees grow everywhere, along with some bamboo, wild almonds, rubber, and a bunch of other types of tropical trees.

Almost everybody gets around on motorbikes (Kelly and I included), but some people use truck taxis. The driving can get a bit treacherous at times, some of the roads are quite hilly, and people will pass at any time (on blind curves next to a cliff for example). The roads are also pretty dusty, partly because it is the dry season, and partly because the constant development here leaves a lot of open dirt.

Our first night here we just relaxed took in the scenery and went to bed early. For our first full day here we went out snorkeling after we got up. We saw about 15 different types of fish including some pretty large ones, and lots of coral. The visibility was about 10-15 feet, apparently pretty bad for this area. After snorkeling we went out for a ride on the motor bike. We decided to stop at the waterfall which is inside the national park (that makes up about half of the island). It was very pretty, but because it was the dry season the riverbed was low, and the falls were not as wild as they can be.

On our second day (today) we went for a guided trek through the rain forest. It started out pretty steep, and difficult, but that did not last very long, the rest of it was pretty easy. We went by some really interesting stuff, rubber plantations, an elephant farm (we got to see some of the elephants), a banana farm, a small waterfall, and our guides house/hotel. We also saw a small poisonous python that I maybe got a little too close to.

I talked with our guide briefly about the island. He grew up here, and has seen it change quite a bit (I would guess he was about 25-30). When he was younger there were only bikes, no cars and no motor bikes. There was also very little development, tourists hadn't discovered the island, and not many people came here. But in the last five years or so the island has seen huge growth. I asked him if he was sad to see the development. He said that he was both happy and sad. He was sad because people destroy the jungle, one of the last pristine island jungles in Thailand, to build hotels and homes. But he was happy because the tourist dollar also brings better education for people on the island, and some better protection for the island (through the national parks service).

After the trek we went snorkeling again, saw three more types of fish that we hadn't seen before, including one big one that just sat on the bottom and was colored like a giraffe.

We just had dinner on the beach, watching the sun set over the water. A truly amazing site, the beach was glowing with the colors of the sun, kids were playing soccer, and people were generally having a good time. The place we ate at had great food and was run by a lady boy....

Well that's all for now, like I said, expensive internet here.

No pictures either, hopefully we can upload some when we get to Cambodia.


-Tim
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

4:24 PM

Wow, I'm glad you guys are having such a good time. We have some of our own tropical weather here, it's 58 degress out!! In January!!! I know, it's amazing. I'd say the traffic is just as bad here, too, being Boston and all...but I remember dealing with insane people on motorbikes in the Dominican Republic so...stay out of their way.

Thanks, Mr. Hawes, for the google image search idea, and for the report on the phone call.

I know I don't have much to say T&K, but I'm really enjoying the updates, so keep em coming, and keep enjoying yourselves.

-Dan    



12:57 PM

T&K! Reading these posts is almost like hearing you two talk--something I must say I miss a whole bunch. :o)

Reading these things ALso makes me green with envy...I mean, come on! Eating dinner on a beach watching the sun set?! Talk about every girl's DREAM (I'm sure you enjoyed it too, Tim)!!!

Continue having an amazing, time-of-your-life time :op, and take care of yourselves!
Love,
Kara    



4:13 PM

Hi Tim and Kelly
We are really enjoying your trip almost like being there. Thanks
Love,
Uncle Rich and Aunt Bonnie    



8:41 AM

Kelly and Tim are likely in Sihnoukville, Cambodia by now --- http://www.canbypublications.com/sihnoukville/ksintro.htm --- Dad    



8:53 AM

Oooppps --- I left an a out of the name of that place --- Sihanoukville --- You may find it interesting to read how the place is mentioned in the news too --- type the name in at http://news.google.com/ --- you can also access images and other info from that site --- Dad    



» Post a Comment