The Original Harmony

"Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe." -Anatole France

Hong Kong and Guangzhou

Hi everyone, sorry it has been so long since my last post. With all the other stuff going on, and the difficulty of getting to a computer I got a little backed up.

We had a great time in Hong Kong. The city really seems huge; it is also very clean, and you feel very safe being there. We saw a few of the sights while we were there; Victoria Peak, the harbor, the zoological and botanical gardens, the western market, and the Wan Chai district. Our hotel was in Wan Chai, the business and financial district. It was really amazing. All the stores were the highest end international stores you can think of, Armani, Prada, Tiffinays, Versace, etc. This did cause the food prices to be a little high too thugh, so we usually had to walk to find somewhere to eat. The prices were about what you would expect for Boston, roughly $20-$25 for dinner for two.

We had taken a ferry there and back, it was a very nice ride and cost less than the train.

My interviews have gone well so far. Maryland seemed very positive, and after talking to three people at Stanford they want me to talk to a fourth.

As my Dad mentioned we have been eating well. We have had about an even mix now of Chinese and Western food. Both are very good. I had one of the best Chinese dishes I have ever had in hong kong, it was Spicy Fried Pork with Two Types of Onions. Last night we ate at the 2003- 2004 Best Restaurant in Guangzhou. It was also very good, but a lot of the dishes were a little strange (braised turtle for example). Because of this we tried to order things that we were a little more familiar with. Kelly had noodles with beef and I had steamed scallops. I got to pick the scallops out myself from the tank out front and they were prepared with most of the animal in the dish (as opposed to just the abductor muscle we get at home). It was very good.

Not much else is going on here. I have had a little trouble here, but its a story i will wait to tell in person...just some confusion about what i can and cannot do on the internet (use skype for example) and what the police think about it.

That's about it for now. I have deleted most of my dad's post...

OH YEAH, kelly got into Colorado too.

From My dad's post:
Kelly and Tim were surprised to find a store named “New Bedford Interiors” on
their walks in HK --- as well as several references to Boston (restaurant names
mostly--Tim) --- as expected Tim really likes the food --- I have to wonder
if he will come home looking like a Buddha --- (Not likely, we are losing a lot
of weight actually, asian food is much healthier than what we eat at home
--Tim).
Thats all for now,


-Tim

P.S. If you want to hear a kinda funny story, ask kelly or I about the time we ended up on the wrong kind of street in Hong Kong.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment